Thursday 21 June 2012

Deity - A letter from a son!


When four Derby College students are reported missing, few in Derby CID, least of all DI Damen Brook, pay much attention.  But then a film on the internet is discovered purporting to show the students committing mass suicide.  If it’s real, why did they kill themselves when they had such bright futures ahead of them?  If the suicides are faked, why the set up and where are the students?  And if they’re dead and have been murdered, who on earth could have planned such a bizarre and tragic end to their promising lives?  Combining intricate forensics with meticulous detection and the warped psychology of a psychopath, DEITY is a serial killer thriller of the highest order.  Think the best of a police procedural novel mixed with a dash of Donna Tartt’s The Secret History

In an exclusive for Shots Magazine – Steven has penned an extra scene, a farewell note from missing college student Rusty which you can read below.


RUSTY’S LETTER

Mother

I know this is hard for you but what can I say?  There comes a time when the umbilical has to be cut and the child becomes a man.  I know what sacrifices you made for me and, believe me, they will never go unappreciated but things have got to the stage where it’s better for me to move on.  A clean break is best.  No goodbyes.  No tears.  Like Jack Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces when he parks at that gas station and hitches a lift to a new life, leaving behind his girlfriend (Karen Black, I think.  You can check my movie guide if you want) and starts his life again from scratch.  He’s running from himself too so I guess that’s a good analogy.

I hope things go well for you.  Really.  You should be okay.  You’re beautiful and things tend to go easier, the better looking you are and I’ve seen the way men look at you.  You’ll find someone else to take care of you, to help you through the hard times.

And please don’t undersell yourself.  You’re a million times better than some of the scumbags you’ve become involved with.  Find someone who appreciates you for who you are and not how you look.  Those people will use and discard you at the drop of a hat.  You know who I mean and one thing you can take as gospel.  I will never ever forgive the way some people have treated you and if they ever cross my path, and some of them will, they’ll regret the day they ever thought it was okay to treat you the way they did.

They don’t know you and what great love you have to offer.  Well, remember me in the good times, mother.  What we shared is something for the ages, something deep and lasting.  I will miss you and I know you’ll miss me.  Ditto, right.  Remember the film?

I only hope you can forgive me for what I have to do.  Goodbye and good luck.

Love

R x

------
Deity by Steven Dunne is released today.

No comments: